Matthew J. Wilson Professor of Research Radiology & Vice Chair for Research, Department of Radiology
Clinical Director, CMROI
Department of Radiology
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4283
BA, 1981 University of Pennsylvania (Physics)
MD, 1986 University of Pennsylvania
PhD, 1986 University of Pennsylvania (Biophysics)
To improve diagnostic capabilities for high risk of cancer and cancer patients.
To develop an understanding of the relative performance of the new generation of breast imaging modalities.
To develop anatomic and functional markers of SERM effect on the breast.
Honors and Awards
1989 Outstanding Paper Award, Society of Uroradiology
1992 Lauterber Award, Society of Computed Body Tomography and MR
1992 RSNA Scholars Award
1999 Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award
2008 The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
2009 The Association of American Physicians (AAP)
2009 Fellow in the American College of Radiology
- Zheng Y and Englander, E, Baloch S, Zacharaki EI, Fan Y, Schnall MD, Shen D. STEP: Spatiotemporal enhancement pattern for MR-based breast tumor diagnosis. Med. Phys. July 2009; 36 (7): 3192-3204.
- Carton AK, Gavenonis SC, Currivan JA, Conant EF, Schnall MD, Maidment AD. Dual-energy contrast-enhanced digital breast tomosynthesis – a feasibility study. Br J Radiol. 2009 June 8.
- Choe R, Konecky SD, Corlu A, Lee K, Durduran T, Busch DR, Pathak S, Czerniecki BJ, Tchou J, Fraker DL, Demichele A, Chance B, Arridge SR, Schweiger M, Culver JP, Schnall MD, Putt ME, Rosen MA, Yodh AG. Differentiation of benign and malignant breast tumors by in-vivio three-dimensional parallel-plate diffuse optical tomography. J Biomed Opt. 2009 mar-apr; 14(2): 024020.
- Kim DY, Schnall MD, Rosen MA, Connick T. Prostate MR imaging at 3T with a longitudinal array endorectal surface coil and phased array body coil. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2008 Jun;27(6):1327-30.
- Dorfman GS, Sullivan DC, Schnall MD, Matrisian LM; for the Translational Research Working Group. The Translational Research Working Group Developmental Pathway for Image-Based Assessment Modalities. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Sep 15;14(18):5678-5684.
- Boo-Kyung H, Schnall MD, Orel SG, Rosen M. Outcome of MRI-guided breast biopsy. AJR 2008 Dec; 191:1-7.
- Solin LJ, Orel SG, Hwang WT, Harris EE, Schnall MD. Relationship of breast magnetic resonance imaging to outcome after breast-conservation treatment with radiation for women with early-stage invasive breast carcinoma or ductal carcinoma in situ. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Jan 20;26(3):386-91.
- Kumar R, Zhuang H, Schnall M, Conant E, Damia S, Weinstein S, Chandra P, Czerniecki B, Alavi A. FDG PET positive lymph nodes are highly predictive of metastasis in breast cancer. Nucl Med Commun. 2006 Mar;27(3):231-6.
- Lehman CD, Gatsonis C, Kuhl CK, Hendrick RE, Pisano ED, Hanna L, Peacock S, Smazal SF, Maki DD, Julian TB, DePeri ER, Bluemke DA, Schnall MD. ACRIN Trial 6667 Investigators Group. MRI evaluation of the contralateral breast in women with recently diagnosed breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2007 Mar 29;356(13):1295-303.
- Saslow D, Boetes C, Burke W, Harms S, Leach MO, Lehman CD, Morris E, Pisano E, Schnall M, Sener S, Smith RA, Warner E, Yaffe M, Andrews KS, Russell CA; American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Advisory Group American Cancer Society guidelines for breast screening with MRI as an adjunct to mammography. CA Cancer J Clin. 2007 Mar-Apr;57(2):75-89. Erratum in: CA Cancer J Clin. 2007 May-Jun;57(3):185.
- Lehman CD, Isaacs C, Schnall MD, Pisano ED, Ascher SM, Weatherall PT, Bluemke DA, Bowen DJ, Marcom PK, Armstrong DK, Domchek SM, Tomlinson G, Skates SJ, Gatsonis C Cancer yield of mammography, MR, and US in high-risk women: prospective multi-institution breast cancer screening study. Radiology. 2007 Aug;244(2):381-8.
- Kelloff GJ, Sullivan DC, Baker H, Clarke LP, Nordstrom R, ….. Schnall M et al; Workshop Program Committee Workshop on imaging science development for cancer prevention and preemption. Cancer Biomark. 2007;3(1):1-33.
- Zheng Y, Yu J, Kambhamettu C, Englander S, Schnall MD, Shen D. De-enhancing the dynamic contrast-enhanced breast MRI for robust registration. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv Int Conf Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2007;10(Pt 1):933-41.
- Chen SC, Carton AK, Albert M, Conant EF, Schnall MD, Maidment ADA. Initial clinical experience with contrast-enhanced digital breast tomosynthesis. Acad Radiol 14:229-238; 2007.
- Dougherty L, Isaac G, Rosen MA, Nunes LW, Moate PJ, Boston RC, Schnall MD, Song HK. High frame-rate simultaneous bilateral breast DCE-MRI. MRM 57:220-225; 2007.
- Schnall MD. MR Imaging Evaluation of Cancer Extent: Is There Clinical Relevance? In: Breast MR Imaging, MRI Clinics of North America, Kuhl CK (Ed.) Volume 14, Number 3, August 2006, Elsevier, Inc., Philadelphia, pp 379-381.
- Penn A, Thompson S, Brem R, Lehman C, Weatherall P, Schnall M, Newstead G, Conant E, Ascher S, Morris E, Pisano E. Morphologic blooming in breast MRI as a characterization of margin for discriminating benign from malignant lesions. Academic Radiology 13 (11):1344-1354; 2006.
- Schnall M and Rosen R. Primer on imaging technologies for cancer. J Clin Oncol 24:3225-3233; 2006.
Last modified August 24, 2010 3:35 pm /